In addition, the Union Pacific Railroad will close Ruthrauff Road, east of the westbound I-10 frontage road, for railroad crossing repairs beginning at 6 a.m. Thursday (Oct. 20) through Friday (Nov. 4). All I-10 exit and entrance ramps and frontage roads at Camino del Cerro/Ruthrauff Road will remain open during this work.
The frontage road construction (not including the railroad work) is part of the Interstate 10 widening project between Ruthrauff Road and Prince Road in Tucson.
What to expect during construction:
- Prince Road is closed west of I-10 through early 2012.
- The eastbound and westbound I-10 frontage roads and ramps at Prince Road are open.
- Access to businesses on the west side of I-10 and south of Prince Road along eastbound frontage road are available.
- Riverpark Drive, La Cholla Boulevard and Business Center Drive west of I-10 at Prince Road, are closed through early 2012.
- Access to businesses on the west side of I-10, along the westbound frontage roads and north of Prince Road in the Business Center Drive, Commerce Drive and Sweetwater Drive areas are available during construction by using the eastbound I-10 frontage road.
- Construction is anticipated to last approximately 26 months. As part of the project, the Prince Road underpass and ramps will close in early 2012 and will remain closed until the project is completed by late 2013.
- Widening the I-10 freeway to four lanes in each direction to accommodate increasing congestion and traffic.
- Reconstructing the Prince Road traffic interchange so that Prince Road will pass over the Union Pacific Railroad tracks and I-10 and minimize delays for motorists.
- Updating the entrance and exit ramps to provide better connections and improved access for motorists.
- New landscaping along the project area.