The Arizona Department of Transportation will begin construction of the area west of I-10 at Prince Road Monday (Oct. 3). Crews will close Prince Road,Riverpark Drive, La Cholla Boulevard and Business Center Drive west of I-10 through early 2012 as construction begins to widen Interstate 10 between Ruthrauff Road and Prince Road in Tucson.
- Prince Road will be closed west of I-10 only beginning Monday (Oct. 3) at 6 a.m.
- The eastbound and westbound I-10 frontage roads and ramps at Prince Road will remain open during this time.
- Access to businesses on the west side of I-10 and south of Prince Road along eastbound frontage road will be available during construction.
- Riverpark Drive, La Cholla Boulevard and Business Center Drive west of I-10 at Prince Road, will be closed beginning Monday (Oct. 3) at 6 a.m.
- Access to businesses on the west side of I-10, along the westbound frontage roads and north of Prince Road in the Business Center Drive, Commerce Drive and Sweetwater Drive areas will be available during construction by using the eastbound I-10 frontage road.
Some of the improvements that are planned for this project include:
- Widening the I-10 freeway to four lanes in each direction to accommodate increasing congestion and traffic.
- Reconstructing the Prince Road traffic interchange so that Prince Road will pass over the Union Pacific Railroad tracks and I-10 and minimize delays for motorists.
- Updating the entrance and exit ramps to provide better connections and improved access.
- New landscaping along the project area.
- Construction is anticipated to last approximately 26 months. As part of the project, the Prince Road underpass and ramps will close in early 2012 and will remain closed until the project is scheduled to be completed by late 2013.
The construction schedule is subject to change due to a variety of reasons, including weather, material availability and mechanical difficulties. ADOT advises drivers to proceed through the work zone with caution, slow down, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.